Men and women were created equal…except when it comes to their skin and how they care for it. While exfoliating, cleansing, moisturizing, and other treatments can sometimes differ for a man versus a woman, the same amount of care should be taken no matter who you are. But interestingly enough, there are some big differences in men’s skin vs. women’s skin. From thickness and density to texture and hydration, here are just a few of them!
Did you know…
- Men tend to have thicker, oily skin and denser hair growth while women have thinner, drier skin.
- Both men and women lose approximately 1% of their collagen per year after their 30th birthday. For women, however, this escalates significantly in the first five years after menopause, then slows down to a loss of 2% per year.
- Facial wrinkles and deeper facial sagging is more prominent in the lower eyelids of men, but there is no significant difference in skin elasticity between the sexes.
- Sebum content is higher in men because it is influenced by sex hormones. This is also why men have longer lasting acne than women.
- Males have more lactic acid in their sweat, giving it a lower pH. They also sweat twice as much as women do. However, male skin appears to be better hydrated than women’s.
Some tips for the guys…
- Keep it simple. Doing something – anything – to take good care of your skin is better than doing nothing at all.
- Some studies have found that men don’t take proper care of their skin because they don’t like the tacky feeling some products leave on their face. An easy solution? Find a different product that DOES work for you! This might mean some trial and error, but it will be worth it to eventually find products you love and will habitually use.
- Ditch the bar soap. They were made for your body, not your face. You should not be washing your face with anything other than something specifically designed just for that purpose.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. And just when you think you’re done moisturizing, do it some more.
Some tips for the ladies…
- Never, ever, ever (and we mean never) sleep with your makeup on. Wash that face every.single.night.
- Exfoliation is your friend. Sloughing off those dead skin cells will bring newer, fresher, more vibrant skin to the surface.
- WEAR SUNSCREEN. It might seem simple but you’d be surprised at how many women do not make this a part of their daily beauty routine. Slather on that SPF to keep the UV rays (and wrinkles) at bay!
- Our tip about moisturizing for the guys applies to you too!
A universal tip…
Facials should not be a service you treat yourself to every once in a while. Instead, they should be a regular part of your skincare regimen. That’s why we’re making it a little easier to come in more often. During the month of February, we’re offering two 30-minute facials for $75! They’ll put you on the right track to taking good care of the skin you’re in! Give us a call to book your appointments.
Want even more La Pomponnee?
Join our email list for more beauty tips and exclusive discounts! You’ll even get a coupon for 20% off a single AVEDA product just for signing up!